As the Society's Ocean Policy Program Director, Sarah works to translate the U.S. National Ocean Policy into concrete "in the water" changes in how the U.S. manages and protects the ocean and our coasts..
Sarah is a Midwest native who fell in love with the ocean at an early age. For over ten years Sarah has worked to educate and engage our decision makers, elected officials and ocean lovers on the importance of protecting the ocean, our coasts and the Great Lakes.
Sarah lives in Boston with her husband and two small children. Before trading rain for snow, Sarah called Portland, Oregon, home for eight years.
• Sleeping (see two small kids above)
• Live Music Festivals!
• Making jewelry
• Watching the West Wing and Buffy the Vampire Slayer
• Juris Doctorate, Masters in the Studies of Environmental Law, Vermont Law School
• Bachelors of Science in Marine Science, University of South Carolina
• Women Working for the Oceans
• Oregon State Bar Association
Sarah Winter Whelan
Ocean Policy Program Director
62 Summer Street
Boston, MA 02110